Gail,
I hope that this isn't true for Barry, but in my case and also for many others, the hardest part began when treatment ended. I rang the bell and headed for home, delighted that the radiation was over. However for the first time during my treatment I got depressed, and, along with feeling lousy,there was also a feeling of hopelessness. When you go in for treatment every day one feels like you are being pro-active and you are interacting with people working to heal you. Once I got home I just felt like there were a lot of hours in the day and nothing to look forward to but the next tube feeding.
The good news was that I found ways to cope and began to feel much better as things steadily, if gradually, improved.

I think it is great that the two of you are so well-informed and that Barry came to treatment with such an active, healthy life-style. In my case one of the ironies is: now that my swallowing finally seems to have really improved, many of the foods that I find easy to eat are not particularly healthy, like steaks, fried shrimp, mexican food,lasagna, french fries, etc. but at least I no longer need the milkshakes that I used to drink a couple of times a day for sustenance. Of course certain vegetables are easy to eat as well.
Best of luck with this new phase.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.