Yes that is one of the major sucky parts of chemo & radiation is the loss of taste buds but it is usually only temporary. Mine started returning only after a few months post Tx and are fully recovered now. I didn't use a PEG - I forced mayself to eat all of that cardboard tasting, and worse, crap for months - but I sure enjoy dining experiences now. Because of IMRT I had a full recovery of my taste buds and major recovery of salivary function.

ALL of us had the same taste issues, it'll pass. One must be patient and FIGHT -this is not the time to wimp out..

Tell him to get a grip - risking death for not being able to taste food is a pretty lame excuse and legacy to leave behind. He will get beat up from the treatment - everyone here does.

Tell him also to buckle up his seat belt because the treatment side effects are going to get even worse before its over.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)