Rwarm,
The grim option is death from cancer and it usually takes metastesis to a major organ before that occurs and that can take some time. I had 2 parents and a sister die from cancer and it wasn't pretty.

We were all beat up - I lost over 60 lbs myself but I'll take this side of the grass anyday.

I agree with Joanna - the Amofostine isn't really neccessary if you are on IMRT - most people here can't get through it. The CCC I went to doesn't even recommend it unless you're are getting XRT.

Plead with him to get through the radiation There are no "chances" - quitting treatment is a death sentence.

The way I got through it was one day at time. I had days that ranged from fair to horrific. I availed myself of the wonderful array of drugs for pain, anxiety and depression and NEVER lost sight that I would be cured. It helped to have a ton of people praying for me and faith as well. I was very sick from the chemo and other side effects that lasted for more than 6 months (at one point my wife thought that I was going to die from the treatments). Effectively I was totally disabled for almost 2 years.

Now I am VP of a medical device company and life is better than it ever was. I have hardly any residual effects. I feel better and stronger than ever. This disease is survivable - he's got to keep going.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)