If you havent already contacted the American Cancer Society (ACS) about their volunteer driver program call them ASAP! They're available 24/7/365 so you dont have to worry about what time you are calling, someone there can and will help. I think I may have mentioned it to you, if not Im sorry I havent done so yet. Theres so many things to relay to newer patients/caregivers that more minor things can get easily missed. There really are people who will happily volunteer to drive your husband to and from treatments..... even far distances, even if he is nauseous, even if he is grumpy!!! They attend a class on how to manage those things ------ even if the patient pukes. They always carry a puke kit with them! My suggestion would be to get each of your helpers to pick a day they can commit to driving your husband and then you will know which day/s you must be his driver. I think it would do him a world of good having someone drive him who is a cancer survivor. He could talk freely to them and they understand what he's going thru... well kind of... OC patients tend to have it worse than most other types of cancer patients with treatments affecting their ability to eat, talk, etc. Plus if you have alternate drivers it will give your husband time to reflect and see just how much you do for him on a daily basis, hopefully he will appreciate what you do. I had volunteer drivers (total strangers) spend 3 hours a day in the car to get me back and forth to my treatments. I was so impressed at their kindness that I became a volunteer driver too although I rarely have the time anymore.

Your husbands co-workers are a great resource!!! Use them!!! Anyone who volunteers to help are asking because they care and really do want to help. In the next couple weeks your husband will probably begin feeling the effects of treatments even more. Im sure you could use a hand with some things around the house. Even if it is just a neighbor put in charge of taking your garbage and recycling out to the curb and returning the cans every week, its a help. Some weeks I sure wish I had someone to do that for me! I suggest you can start by making a list of all the things you have to do without your husband doing them and build it from there. Take advantage of friends, relatives, and co-workers offers and give them "jobs". Cancer can bring out the best in some people, dont be surprised if people you barely know offer their assistance.... take it! Some people show their worst side when someone close gets a cancer diagnosis. Some will freak out and run for the hills like its contagious then come slinking back once the patients recovers. I was very surprised at some co-workers I hadnt known that well really stood up and tried to help me while a few very close people couldnt be bothered even returning a text or phone call. As the caregiver you have soooo much on your shoulders that a hand here and there will be a huge help to you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma