Ive only seen a handful of people who were able to work thru their treatments. Those were the ones who focused intently on their intake and did everything the doc told them to do. When going thru rads w/ chemo patients will become super sensitive and can pick up anything and everything they come in contact with. They need to avoid crowds, enclosed spaces that have lots of people (bus, subway, elevators), children, schools, public restrooms, people who are sick and they should also pay attention to washing their hands more frequently and using hand sanitizer more often. With their resistance nil, dont be surprised to see as your husband goes thru treatments and recovery phases he picks up more colds and (hopefully not) the flu too. Many patients will notice their bloodwork numbers are wayyyy off and take a very long time to get back to their normal numbers. For me, I was greatly surprised to see it took years! When your husband goes places where he could encounter people who are sick and pick up all kinds of unwanted germs to make him sick, he should wear a mask and carry hand sanitizer.

Depending on what career people have factors in with how soon they can return to work. Most patients need at least 2 months after finishing rads before they can return to work, others need 4 or even 6 months. I went back about six weeks after finishing treatments, but only part time to my office job. I was still not the best but luckily I had an office job that didnt require physical strength and stamina. My job did however require memorizing complex details and adhere to government regulations which I struggled greatly with. Chemo brain to me is a very real thing!!! If your husband is able to go back to work even for a few weeks on a part time basis that will help him to ease back into things gradually. Most patients believe they are stronger and their health is better than what it really is. Rushing to return to work doesnt always work for everyone. It all comes down to the patient and their ability to pay attention and follow doctors orders along with focusing on his daily calories and water intake.

I was so happy to see you were able to do something just for you and meet a friend. Im sure this helped to take your mind off everything that you are juggling. Do your best to make being good to yourself a routine. It really does help!!! You are so right with.... "HE NEEDS ME"!!!! In time he will understand his world has changed drastically! From what you have said, Im sure this wont sit well with him. I hope one day your husband will come to his sense and see the big picture where he can finally appreciate everything you have done and continue to do to help get him thru probably the worst time in his life. Yes, he absolutely does need you and maybe one day he will this too. How I wish caregivers all were treated with respect, appreciation, kindness, and awe for how selfless they are while carrying the world on their shoulders.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma