Its probably the regular PEG tube. Click on the link below to see a generic picture of the PEG tube...

http://www.phoenixmedicalservices.com/gpic.php?ItemName=Ponsky%20PEG%20Pull%20Style&Cat=0

Since he has a feeding tube there isnt an excuse to not do the feedings. Patients who get the tube need to practice using it so they and their caregiver are very comfortable with it and know how to use it like its always been there. Then when patients begin to not feel the best, they will be ahead of things by setting it up, getting into their favorite recliner and watch a good movie or read a book and let the feeding pump run for hours. Doing that overnight works best for some just make certain they are propped up so their head and shoulders are at least 6" or higher than their abdomen. Plus they should stay there in that position at least a half hour after the feeding finishes then rinse it with at least 60 ml or more. Slow is the name of the game with using a feeding tube. Start slow and build up a tolerance then a faster speed will work. Im talking about a kanagroo joey machine that pumps the formula into a patients stomach to help them do feedings easier and slower so they are more easily tolerated.

If he quits his treatments thats up to him but it is a terrible mistake to make!!! It will be the worst mistake of his entire life! Patients who are complaining after only 5 treatments are who will have a very difficult time. From everything you have said, he is someone who does not like to follow directions or listen to other opinions, he would rather do things his own way. Those types of personalities are the ones who will always struggle along making everything harder than it should be. This isnt anything you or anyone else could change... most people like this are positive they know everything! I do not know of one person who quit their treatments this early... not one and Ive counseled thousands of OC patients both here and over the phone and thru email. I only know of a couple of patients who ever quit their treatments but I havent heard from them in a very very long time. One patient I spent many hours talking to quit treatments after about 3 weeks. He passed away because he quit rads all because he wasnt able to make his singing gigs he was already booked for. Some people have a different view of priorities than others.

The 3 big bag method of getting chemo will be every 3 weeks or so. My doc sat down with me and a calendar and marked the days I would first notice the chemos side effects. Im pretty sure she said the first dose was the biggest one and I would notice the side effects around day 10 and begin to start feeling better right about when they were ready to do the second dose at the 3 week point. But, every patient is different and will have a slightly different stories with this. The patients who get weekly smaller doses of chemo usually have an easier time. Make sure he tells his doc about any issues with his hearing or kidneys as chemo can be very hard on both.

I know it is NOT easy going thru OC treatments!!! I struggled right thru with all kinds of issues and hospitalizations but I survived which really is what matters the most. I hate to say it but in all fairness if your husband quits its then only a matter of time. Patients who do not complete their rads with or without chemo will not survive. Sometimes in life we all must just suck it up and do things even though we dont want to, even if those things are unpleasant or make us ill, its a necessity he finished all his treatments.

By not keeping anything down and his intake is pretty much nothing he is setting himself up to land in the hospital for dehydration and/or malnutrition. Its happened to me and many times since too. Ive been so sick some days I cant even dial the phone or type out a text message to get help and I couldnt talk, walk or get myself up off the kitchen floor. Dehydration can rapidly become life threatening situation and anyone going thru that will feel horrible!!! I thought I was actually in the first stages of dying when Ive been that sick on a few occasions. Luckily I wasnt but boy did I feel awful!!! If your husband does NOT immediately begin to hit his daily minimums for 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water he is putting himself right on that same path. Im telling you all this so you can be prepared. My son had to drag me out of the house and put me in the car for several of those episodes and take me to the ER. Ive also been taken by ambulance to the ER. I know your husband isnt feeling the best, almost every single patient going thru what he is would report the same thing. But!!! Patients who watch their intake and push themselves (no matter how bad they feel) to hit their daily minimums will always fare better than those who couldnt or refused to hit those numbers. It is a choice!!! Sure its not easy but being an adult and doing mandatory things are never easy. Its his choice and sadly I fear he is giving up before he really puts in enough effort to actually get thru it and recover then go on about his regular life. Some patients get into the "make up" game. Thats when they say "oh, I'll do better tomorrow. Then tomorrow comes and they say later I'll do more". Well I was one of those too and would fall asleep before I did more and tomorrow never came for me to make it up cuz the tomorrows I had consisted of feeling even worse than the day before. I grew weaker and weaker until I hit the lowest of my low days. Im darn luck I got thru everything I did. Without the people here I never could have done it.

Make sure your husbands docs have his signed HIPPA consent to talk with you about his condition. If not you may not even know if he quit or not. Keep being good to yourself and the difficult decisions your husband makes are his choice.

I hope I havent upset you by giving you TMI!!! Best wishes with everything...

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma