Hello to DeniseG and Linda Linch- so nice to hear from both of you!!!

Today is Day 17 post rads and I'm hanging in there. The excessive amount of mucus is back and I'm having to use my spit cup all day. That's been a frustrating setback for me as it keeps me home bound. Last week I didn't need it at all, but these past few days, that's been a change. The other change is fatigue. I am soooo tired allll the time! I'm sleeping well at night (thank goodness) and after breakfast I usually go back to bed to read or nap. After lunch I nap and then before dinner I nap. I try to limit my naps to only about an hour so that I can do more sleeping at night. I'm also on Day 6 of the taper off of my steroid, so that may be contributing to the fatigue as well.

I picked up more pain med from my pharmacy yesterday but the funny thing is that I'm not in much pain at all. I've been taking ibuprofen for past 2 days and it seems to do the job. My mouth just doesn't feel good. Can't say it's painful but it's sometimes tingly, sometimes feels swollen and sometimes feels thick. I'm able to swallow juices and liquids although I have no desire to do anything more than that. I do want to get my PEG tube out but know that I'm not ready for 100% oral feeding.

I am planning a trip to the East Coast August 18-27th and the plan is to fly. I'm super curious to see what state I'll be in by then. I was hoping PEG would be out by then but I've had 2 retired oncology nurses tell me otherwise. They think I'll still have it in, but they reassured me that it's fine to travel. As long as my energy is up by then and I don't have to use my spit cup, I'll be thrilled!

I can't wait to say that I am feeling much better!!! I'm hoping that after Day 21 post rads, it'll just get better and better. Or as Christine the administor puts it, you won't feel quite as crappy as you did the day before. I'll take it.

I was told that besides anal cancer, this is the most difficult to recover from. I believe it! The patience and acceptance required to get through this is astronomical! I take it day by day.....

Kristen S.
Stage 3 SCC Surgery 2/18
35 radiation treatments-completed 6/18