Hi there John, I was a stage 2 - one lymph node involved but only after they biopsied me. I had 40 removed 1/3 of my tongue excised and replaced - I have amazing mobility with my graft my plastics guy was fantastic. Staples? In your neck? I'm assuming. I was out of the hospital 10 days after surgery - and in Mexico 17 days after surgery - I could eat pretty much most food except dry and hard stuff and frankly I found mashed potatoes harder to eat than soft veggies fruit and omelettes if I remember correctly I was just getting back to normal 4 weeks out when they recommended radiation for me. That's when my tongue reall swelled. I used to put the food on my good side it made it easier to go down. Try rinsing with a mix of baking soda,salt and water I used to add a table spoon of each to a bottle (2 cups of water, this will help heal and clean out any junk that's stuck... I used the foamies to brush my teeth, until day 14 ten I used a soft tooth brush. I also love my water pick... On the low setting it cleans your mouth nicely - I add a bit of all natural, alcohol free mouthwash to freshen up.
Staples - I used to be a nurse - so I've been on both ends... I had invisible stitches in my neck - but my arm graft site was mighty ugly and had easily 50 staples. now something like this is very dependent on location, (more sensitive areas hurt more) and the individual, are you super sensitive to pain? Then it's gonna hurt, if your not it wont hurt much. I had mine removed prior to leaving the hospital, and the only one hat hurt was the one that was dug into a nerve. And to insult to injury they removed a patch of skin to cover my donor site (wrist) and used a thick pad to cover my wound... Which they were kind enough to STAPLE to my leg... That didn't hurt at allbut I was mildlys insulted that with all my injuries they would unnecessarily staple this pad to my leg...

Try not to worry and freak out. This is for both you and Brazilian girl. This is a small forum, we ave a lot of members but most are transient, they'll come and go once they're done with treatment. So it's not an accurate representation of survival rate. We do lose some people, But people die of heart disease, and liver failure daily. Cancer is scary, I admit - I had some seriously heart stopping moments since my diagnosis. However I got my treatment, I listened to my drs. When they recommended I go through with radiation and chemo, despite my dr who is great, saying he believes he got it all - not something I take lightly based on his credentials But I went whole hog and did everything I could to stop this disease in its tracks. I also adjusted my diet to help me heal and strengthen my immune system, I walked every say even though I felt horrible near the end. I asked questions, and did my own care - I now go to acupuncture and do lymphatic massage (this may help with the swelling too -John)
Will I have a recurrence? I have no idea, am I content in the knowledge I did everything I could to try and stop this disease...? Yes. So It is now in god's hands. I could face a recurrence, but I could also get hit by a bus, shot, or have a heart attack, so live your life now, do not be afraid to move forward, don't give into your fear of this disease, it's already stolen a lot from you, don't give it that much power. Its a part of your life, but not your whole life - if it is then it's won.
good luck, thee diligent, keep and eye out for anything unusual - swollen nodes, rashes on your neck, etc... Be active in your care. Learn what is normal for your mouth. Etc. and good luck, we're all here for you...

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan