John,

Cancer is a scary thing. The word alone is enough to make your blood run cold, being diagnosed with it is literally a life changing thing. It is OK to be afraid, it's OK to be emotional and depressed...very common reactions to this experience.

Dr's are typically very short on information for many reasons and to those that want more information it usually feels like you have to threaten their lives to get anything out of them. That's where these forums come in. This site and these forums are a wealth of information and experience and we're here to help you through. Not just the physical recovery but the mental and emotional as well. Often times those are the hardest aspects anyways.

Here's the thing, really it looks good for you. You didn't have to be subjected to radiation or chemo (which sucks) and your surgery didn't seem to be very invasive and as soon as your swelling comes down you'll bounce back. You have so many things going your way...rejoice in that.

I was on the opposite of the spectrum, I had a late stage diagnosis. I had to go through radiation/chemo and several surgeries. I lost half my face, my ability to eat most foods and speak clearly. I lost my job and the life I lead before cancer. You know what? I'm alive and I'm loving life more now then ever before even through these changes. What I'm trying to say John, is that life is good even if you have to find another job, or go through some financial struggle. I've drawn strength and hope from the others on these forums who've gone through more then I and have found my footing again because of their example.

We're here for you my friend. You'll get through this.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.