Hello Charm
Have not been in touch since January but your reply was such a help. I'm afraid I am so bad at understanding how to use the site; my little grey cells are deminishing and modern technology gets me very confused!! but I do try. Your reply was so so helpful; time is passing and my sister Jo was told that the treatment so far has been successful; she has however been back in hospital on a number of occasions due to dehydration; she constantly rinses her mouth 24 hours a day; and spits out as she cannot swallow water or food; dryness at the back of her throat is bad and she feels that the spray does not reach the back of her throat although the drinking and spitting now seems to have become a habit and very obsessional;

I was present when she saw her consultant on Thursday last even during the consultation she was constantly rinsing her mouth out and spitting. She just seem tormented. She carries two cups and a bottle of water with her constantly which is fine but can go through a two litre bottle rinsing and spitting every thirty minutes. She is up during the night doing the same thing. Her dietician did say she was not taking enough fluid through the peg and that she must make sure she does; it is very hard to encourage her to do these things as she insists that she does but I' don't know so much!! she continually shakes and she is so demoralised; she has also gone deaf post treatment; Charm my heart goes out to her and sometimes I feel as though mine is going to break but I know that will not help her to see our sadness. I'm sure it would do her the power of good to visit this site but myself and her husband have suggested this to her and she does not have any motivation. I know you must have been in the place she is in now; what can we do to help. She is on antidepressants and she has now developed shingles. I myself am well aware that it is early days yet and we must wait for her to turn a corner but I think she feels that she should have at least turned a little one by now. I only know that my Jo must feel so very poorly and selfishly I miss her so much.

Charm, if I have gone about writing this note the wrong way please forgive me.

Our love and all the best to you and everyone

Kathie 6571

sister diagnosed June 2010 back of tongue 30 intensive RT and 2 chemo (will confirm what stage later) finished treatment Sept 2010. Peg dependent unable to swallow. 6 teeth removed prior to treatment. HPV?