Tom,
Welcome.
Getting a PEG is a surgical procedure so some discomfort for a week or two is likely, but if you are in significant pain for a significant period of time (15 minutes or so), you should have it checked out.

As best I recall, mine only hurt occasionally when I bent over, got up, bumped or wiggled it and within a couple weeks I was fine.

At first I had some minor digestive issues (heart-burn, etc.), but these also went in a couple weeks. For me, adjusting to the PEG was initially more a psychological issue.

Nevertheless, don't assume nothing is wrong. If it doesn't seem right, have it checked out.

Shortly after getting mine they had me setup for "PEG School" appointments, but your home health-care nurse will probably do.

Major PEG Complication are rare (not common) and seldom applicable to us. Most PEGs (about 9 out of 10) are placed in the very elderly with other severe medical/mental and nutritional issues often within months of their end of life. Unfortunately, PEG's in the elderly institutionalize population are abusively overused.

A PEG is a great tool and I am sure you will come to appreciate having it and like most of us celebrate the day you no longer need it.

To help keep your PEG days as few as possible; eat while you can and as long as you can and swallow a little of something even on those days you think you can't.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11