First, welcome to OCF. Try to squeeze the button or tab close to your belly and pull it so it loosens. Be careful that you are holding onto the tube by your stomach so you are not tugging on the tube. If you cant do this yourself, make an appointment with the gastro doc to loosen it. You will not make it fall out by sneezing. I know for the first couple days its uncomfortable but you will adjust to it.

Daily you should be flushing it with water. Always pinch it closed and be standing up when you do this. If it starts to overflow, pull the tube up higher, that will make the liquid in the tube go down. Its so hard to explain all these little tricks over the internet. I hope you are able to follow what I am writing.

If you see your food backing up into the tube, thats normal. Dont worry about it. Just make sure you flush it at least once daily. Some people use sprite or ginger ale weekly to help keep the inside of the tube clean.

When I had my PEG installed, I was sore for about 2 days. Everybody is different and some people are ok in a day while some take a few days to feel better. Also important is not to lift anything heavy. You do not want to strain your stomach.

Now is the time for you to practice with the tube and get comfortable with it. That way if you need it down the road you will be able to use it comfortably. You can even try giving yourself a feeding.

A feeding can be done with a pump. If you didnt get one, call the gastro doc and ask for one. I use a feeding pump to do my feedings mainly overnight. Makes it much easier for me. Or you could do it by pushing in the formula or holding up the syringe and removing the plunger then pouring the formula thru the syringe. Do whichever way works for you, whatever you are most comfortable with. Thats why its important to practice now before you would need it. If you get nasueous, slow down the feeding and/or add water to the formula.

Best of luck with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy