Your posts have all been so helpful and positive. My son just had his last Rad treatment two days ago and it was pretty rough with nausea and soreness in his mouth and throat. He's only been able to take liquids and I don't know from one day to the next what he will be able to tolerate. I went to the health food store and got some Whey protein powder. The food store person said that even the unflavored powder had a vanilla taste which made me wonder about putting it in soup. The sheet we got at the hospital on nutrition said it could be mixed with water/juice/soup, etc but I wonder about that. My son's sense of smell has gotten sharper and he smells everything. He sits cross legged on the bed and leans way over to smell it and sometimes he just sits there with his head hanging over the soup bowl. I gave him some beef broth which he had tolerated yesterday but today, he said it tasted weird and I told him I had not added any protein powder ( I really hadn't - hoping I could get him to take the broth without it first) He said it was just his weird taste buds. Does anyone have a suggestion for the protein powder or a special brand? My son has been in bed since Tuesday and very weak and I worry about trying to get him to eat or drink. I'm thinking now that maybe he should have had one of those PEG tubes. He says his throat hurts but the nausea is not has bad now. I've been pushing him to drink water, grape juice (diluted with water) and he doesn't want anything with milk in it. He gets a little upset with me when I try to push too much. I don't wake him if he's sleeping but if his eyes are open I do try to get him to drink something. I've made copies of several posts on this page so that I can show him your suggestions. Maybe that will relieve some of the "pushyness" coming only from me. I'd appreciate any suggestions re any particular brand of whey protein powder and how it does in soup.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)