Linda,
As I have written you before: the first few weeks following the end of radiation are the hardest of all. My docs at MDACC prescribed me the Duragesic pain patches for the sore throat and I wore the things 24/7 for a few months. I could not swallow anything but a little water and got my nutrition solely from the tube feedings for quite a while.
Has anyone at MDACC spoken to you about the Yankauer suction machine? It is like the little thing that your dentist uses to suck up liquids in your mouth. They prescribed one for me and I kept it by the easy chair during the day and bedside at night during the period when I had so much mucous. I found it much easier to use and less irritating to my mouth and face than constantly spitting into tissues. I would recommend that you speak to the speech pathologist or one of your docs about getting one. Insurance paid for mine.

Take care and keep us posted about how you are doing. One can get very depressed during this time and there is an agency in Houston that provides free counselling sessions with psychologists who are trained in cancer counselling.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.