Right now and the next 2 or 3 weeks is the worst of the whole ordeal. It is critical that your husband gets proper hydration and nutrition. If he is not able to get 2500 calories and 48 oz of water in every single day then he needs a feeding tube. I can not stress enough how important nutrition and hydration are!!! I ended up being hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration right about the same time as where your husband is right now. Ive watched others struggle and I warned them of being hospitalized for not taking in enough and Ive seen them go right down the same path as me. Watch him carefully and make sure he really is drinking enough calories and water. He cant play catch up tomorrow for what he cant take in today. If today he doesnt get 48oz of water and 2500 calories demand a nasal tube. It does not help the patient one bit to struggle so much. Same goes for the pain, if the patch still isnt enough after being on for 24 hours ask for it to be increased again.

One last thing, take a few minutes every single day for yourself. You dont want to get burned out. Being a caregiver is a difficult job. Im sure your husband appreciates everything but he probably feels awful right now. Not enough calories and water will make him feel even worse. Believe it or not, next month this time he will be a new man! Its all down hill from there.

Good luck!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy