Welcome to OCF! Sorry to hear your husband is struggling. At the end of treatment and the 2 or 3 weeks afterwards it is the worst part of the whole treatment program. Your husband MUST continue to drink and get nutrition in somehow. It sounds like he does not have a feeding tube. That would be the easy way, just put it thru the tube.

Get ensure, boost or order some Carnation very high calorie thru the Amazon link in the green box. Push him to get 2500 calories per day. Try getting some magic mouthwash he can swish and spit before he attempts to eat or drink. It will numb his mouth for about 15 minutes which should be long enough to get some nutrition. Magic mouthwash is made of several different concoctions, mine was lydocaine, maylox and benedryl. Its prescription so if he doesnt have this, ask the doc. If necessary he can use pain meds to help ease the discomfort and enable him to eat. Most of us used the fentanyl patch to help take the pain away. Dont worry about using pain meds, it does not help a patient to not take them.

We have been there and know this is the worst of it. Soon it will be over and he can begin to recover. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma