Every day your husband does not get enough calories will make him feel worse and worse. When I was about finished with my treatments, I was struggling to get calories and hydration. I ended up being hospitalized for dehydration and malnutrition. I really thought I was dying, thats how sick I was. I was unable to even walk, my son had to push me in a wheelchair. You can always get the doctor to give him IV hydration fluids. Its outpatient and will make him feel so much better. At my hospital, they did hydration in the chemo lab. Ask! Make sure you have a good talk with the doctor and tell him that your husband is not able to get enough calories in. This is very very important. Tell the doc if you feel your husband needs a feeding tube. Sorry but I dont know how a nasal tube would work while he is doing rads.

The patch will take about 24 hours to kick in. It probably will make the constipation even worse. Once it kicks in your husband should need less of the other pain meds. They can be used for any breakthru pain. Ask the doc about what dosage your husband should take since he is now on the patch. Make sure to follow the patch directions EXACTLY. Never bend it or cut it. Also your husbands other meds can come in liquid form. If they dont already, ask.

I know its rough right now and the next few weeks are likely to get worse. But by the end of the year, your husband will be feeling much better. It does take a long time for recovery, celebrate all the small advances.

Any questions, please ask and we will guide you.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy