Angelia, I had so many scans and I mean aty least to of each before and after surgery to remove part of muy tongue and a neck dissection at Ohio State James Comp. Cancer center. I was told afer the 1st surgeyr at OSU by the Dr that he had gotten it all. Oh yea he did and after 2 more scans he said I need more surgery, more tongue for the garbage pail and more biopsies to follow that.. I was told I didn't need rads or chemo but after that surgery I was told I did need both of them I came back near home and went to the Oncologist that had been arguing with the Dr at OSU saying I needed ti and should have had it already. LOL Well I had to have my teeth removed for rads and chemo and after rad seed impants in my tongue. It has been one tough road and I wish that some day some of this pain leaves and is replaced with taste and saliva. THere are more things than cigarettes that cause it HPV is one of ther main causes. I as told that mine as just a unique cancer whatever that is. I have barretts esophagus too and go for perop tomorro at noon and then go the following week for the scope and biopsies for it. Don't worry about it but take it one day at a time and see what you feel like. Be positive and upbeat.Next time you see that Dr,, just smile at him and make him wonder if you are going to hurt him or wonder if you are just happy. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here