My name is Angelia and I am new to this site. I am just beginning this new journey in life. In February, my dentist found a lump underneath my tongue. I went to see him because of this lump. He immediately said I needed a biopsy. I went to an ENT and was told I did not need a biopsy. I wa sput on antibiotics and sent home. I was told that he would do CT scan if the antibiotics didn't clear up what was going on. Well, guess what they didn't work. I got the CT scan and nothing showed up except for a sinus infection. I was then treated with more antibiotics. All they while this thing in my mouth was getting worse. I decided to go to an oral surgeon and was told yet again it was just a sore and to come back in a month if it wasn't better. After several opinions most said it was just a mouth sore and would heal up. This sore kept getting worse and never healed. I eventually began to have severe ear pain. I went to an ENT that initially saw me and he agreed that something had to be done since it was not getting any better. So on April 30th I had surgery to remove this sore, that my ENT said was just an ulcer, but was going to send it off just to be on the safe side. On May 4th I got that dreaded phone call that it did turn out to be cancer, and it was not completely excised. So on May 7th I went in for another surgery to have the rest of it removed. At this point I have been told that it is gone and will be having a PET scan in 6 to 8 weeks as soon as my mouth heals from the surgery. I have lost a good portion of my tongue and am still so shocked by all this. How do I know that it is really gone? How do I know that it has not spread? Why did it not show up on a CT scan? How did this happen? I have never smoked a day in my life. Thanks.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN