No, we have looked into it but it's very expensive and believe me restaurants, especially the mom and pop type that can't enjoy the savings of a chain restaurant environment, are not big profit makers. Being a CPA and having a large percentage of my practice devoted to the Hospitality Industry and I consult even the chains on profitability issues, I pleaded with my wife not to open a restaurant but like most husband/wife debates I let her win (lol).

You also have 2 basic types of restaurant employees; one, the servers who make mega bucks, like $40 an hour and two, the rest that are hourly/salaried that make very low wages. The first group is typically high turnover young, single, going to school and spends everything they make before they come back to work the next day. They also could care less about medical insurance. The second group is much more stable but has more debt issues and can't afford medical insurance on top of everything else.

Restaurants also have some very strange Labor Laws that we have to deal with that pretty much creates our 2 tier wage force and if we try to equalize the pay to the 2 groups, we can and will be severely penalized. My perfect restaurant would be where every employee would be paid the same hourly rate because in my opinion every one is just as important than the next but to do that I would have to be a maverick and all my top servers would migrate to all the non maverick restaurants.

It is also a shame that we can't offer a group policy to only those that want it and achieve the benefits of a group without having to pay 50% of the premium.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.