Hi Debz, how did you do this past week with eating? I had a very hard time learning to eat again--choosing nutrition that didn't hurt! My docs said to coordinate it with my pain meds; so take a pain reliever and then eat, which takes advantage of the med's properties.

For specific food ideas, my all-time favorite was milkshakes! Yogurt was great. Because I didn't have my taste buds back to normal yet, I didn't have the tastey satisfaction, and it was hard to make myself WANT to eat. What's your favorite cheese that melts well? Using that, have a nice soft omelet--with mashed potatoes on the side!! And macaroni and cheese! Get out the cheese, olive oil, and cream, everybody! Debz coming to eat with us!!!

Make it fun!! For exmple, you might ask each person you're close to make something bland and soft, or give you a recipe. If you're up to it, you could have a "Soft Pot Luck" to celebrate your new status as an eater and to say thank you in person to all who have helped you thus far on your journey. You can always use egg substitutes which are TOTALLY healthy, if you're concerned about cholesterol. That'll compensate for the cheese :-) Am I guessing right that you'd like to put a little weight on while you're at it?

I apologize that I haven't read all of your posts, friend. I probably should already know the answer to the question above. However, I only just jumped into the ocf forum last week, so I've been concentrating on the "Active Topics" heading--I'd like to help my fellow "cancer colleagues" as the new needs arise.

Please let us know how our suggestions are working in your menu! With me, friends and family were actually envious (only of this ONE situation, though) that I could eat milkshakes all day, if I wanted to. It'll be year next month since my PEG was removed, and I am thrilled to say I can eat almost anything I want. Still use a lot of liquids and have dry mouth sometimes, and this is just fine with me!!! My weight has finally come up from 103 to 125, too, which is just right. It all takes time, and progress does happen! So happy eating, and may your enjoyment of food return in full force :-)

You are in our prayers, and I'll think of you especially every time I eat now. So lots of good thoughts are coming your way!

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!