Barbara,

My wife and I are owner operators of a fairly large restaurant and Cigar shop and I also own my CPA firm. She also is a celebrity chef and host on HSN and a flight attendent. My wife/caregiver/partner/other misc also takes care of her mom who is only 5 miles away.

When I was in the throws of Tx I don't know how she handled everything but she did. We had even just purchased a home for her mother and were in the mists of remodleing it ourselves so she had to take that bull by the horns until I was able to get back in there.

We had a large number of friends and employees that she could draw upon for help and support but when it came to me I really didn't want to be around anybody except her. I was always the strong one; the one to work 15 hrs a day; never sick a day in my life so I guess I was embarrassed to be so dependent upon others. I was home alone 6 days a week from end of rad till 10pm. She would come home from 3 to 5pm to REST and would call me whenever. I would either drive myself to Moffitt (40 miles one way) or she or my office manager/mini caregiver/errand person/glue to the business ends person would drive me.

That period in our life seemed like an eternity but, time wise, really wasn't. We are pretty much back to our abnormal life now but I'm still amassed at what she did. I even told her that I would go with her to NY city for a few days of shopping and I promised that I would do what she wants and I would not complain or yell. That alone should tell EVERYONE what I think of my wife!!!

Morale to my story is that we all can do some amassing things when we must...so hang in there and it will be over soon.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.