Marv,

I don’t think John ever made up his mind to be “brave” or that he was going to “beat” the cancer. He just did what the doctors recommended. The only thing he was very insistent on was having his esophagus re-opened after scarring from the radiation closed it. He couldn’t even swallow a sip of water. He did find an interventional radiaologist/general surgeon who was willing to try this totally new treatment on him. Unfortunately, John esophagus was opened, but he never really could eat solid food again. However, that’s a story for another day.

I was glad to hear you tested positive for the PD 1 and PDL1 immunotherapy. I might have mentioned it to you, John was in the Stage 1 clinical trial for PDL 1. I’m glad to know that it’s helping other patients.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.