I have had radiation with chemo as my first treatment plan for my first round of OC. My second bout of oral cancer was treated with only surgery as was the third round. After undergoing rads, patients have a compromised ability to heal. My doc was trying to avoid the mandibulectomy (jaw removal surgery) which unfortunately due to recurrences I ended up getting anyway. Recovery was a very long difficult one with needing IV antibiotics for 8 months along with hyperbaric oxygen treatments (HBO) to help the healing process. The odds of my survival going into the third round of OC in 3 years was slim but somehow I beat the odds and survived and eventually I recovered. Of course my stories are NOT those of the average patients. I had complications most patients do not go thru.

You definitely have some major choices and things to consider. I know those types of life-altering surgeries are NOT easy to decide. We're in your corner no matter what you choice would be, we are still here to support you.

I had a close friend who lived only a couple minutes away from me. She went thru heck trying to save her voice. Eventually she did end up losing her voice box anyway and used the SpeakIt app to talk for her. She lived a very full, great life even without having her voice. Sadly, no matter what she did, her cancer kept coming back. She had similar feelings as you do about her quality of life after losing her.ability to talk. What helped her make her decisions was getting second and third opinions from very well qualified doctors. Maybe hearing other opinions would help you too?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma