Marv,

Keep in mind everybody is different. What works for one person may not work for another. Each treatment has side-effects, from minor to severe. Some side effects deminison overtime and others continue and can get worse.

The radiation/chemo treatment is often used to treat HPV+ cancer in the throat area. From what I recall, surgery in this area is more difficult and causes more problems.

In my case, radiation caused me many problems and continues to do so. If I had a “do-over” option, I would have skipped the radiation (it was optional). However, had I done so, I may not be here today.

Have you been to the dentist yet? Someone familiar with oral cancer patients? You may need to have some problematic teeth removed before radiation begins. My dentist recommended removing my wisdom teeth. They will not start RT until the healing is complete (1-2 weeks). Most of us used flouride dental trays before, during and after RT. Also, you should have blood work to check your thyroid levels and testosterone.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)