Hi there... I am wondering to what end she is being treated. An experienced dr. who deals with cancer KNOWS at what point to stop. From what you have described here she is in the advanced end stages of this disease - and likely palliative at this point - this is based solely on what you have described. If they are still hoping for a cure I would ask what they are basing this on. Has it happened before, and how many times? Likely they probably haven't seen someone come back from this point of if they have there haven't been many. If that is the case then I would ask them what they are trying to accomplish. I am wondering if it is financially based, as in - the continue to get paid as long as they treat. I would wonder if the opposite were true, would they have stopped by now.

Not to say that they shouldn't do whatever they can to fight on her behalf, but at some point the writing is on the wall in big bold letters and continuing to offer hope where it is scant is almost cruel. It sounds almost as if they don't really know what to do, and are just trying anything. This is all reactive not proactive. Ideally the PEG should have been put in long before she was too weak to do much of anything. It almost feels like a lot of too little too late.

The peg is great it will help with the malnourishment, and hydration, but it isn't instant. For her the disease has gotten a strong hold on her because of the long term lack of food and proper fluids and it's aggressiveness. This will not be reversed in a week or two weeks time. There should be some improvement, but will it be enough to get her to the point where she can receive more treatment that's another thing entirely.

I hope for her sake and yours it does. I do believe miracles happen, hopefully it happens for her.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan