It doesnt sound like this is from the peg. I think she went for so long without proper nutrition that she is probably dehydrated and malnourished. Ive been that way and was hospitalized a few times for this. You feel so bad that you feel like you are dying, at least thats what I thought was happening.

Tell your relatives she must up her intake to help get her out of this. It can become a viscous cycle. The patient feels awful so they dont bother doing feedings. Because they dont do the feeding they end up having malnutrition and dehydration quickly sets in too. This will further complicate their medical issues and make them feel 10X worse than they already do. The only solution to feeling better is pushing to take in 3000 calories every single day and 60 oz of water daily too. Its alot but it must be that high to pull the patient back into adequate intake. After a few days of this she should begin to feel a little better. But at the same time, she has cancer again so that could be making her feel lousy too. Maybe the pain meds dont work or she isnt telling everyone what her pains are. When someone first gets a feeding tube they could be uncomfortable usually only for about 3 days before they begin to feel a little better. There is alot going on and Joyce needs someone to step up and be her full time caregiver, someone to oversee her medications, feedings, water intake, doctor appointments, basically everything. Wish you could be her advocate!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma