I really sympathize with anyone coping with insomnia and much more so while surviving cancer. My insomnia is the type where I can get to sleep just fine, but I wake up after 3 -4 hours and can't get back to sleep. However, what I do (and I'm not a cancer survivor - I'm a CG) is play solitaire on my iPhone. There's a free one that only has ads in a little strip at the bottom of the screen. That works for me. The concentration on something completely different helps to keep my brain from going over all the stuff like "why does my new kitchen cabinet installation not allow me to open my oven door anymore" to "wonder if that spider I smashed with a phone book" is dried up, stuck to the phone book page and ready for me to throw in the garbage". Seems that the more you think about "why can't I get to sleep" the more you can't sleep. So a mantra like "I'm Sleepy, I'm Sleepy, etc" may work better. I decided to search my iPhone apps and of course "there's an app for that". BTW - I saw a T-Shirt that said "There's a Nap for That". When I was in my 20's, living in Chicago and sharing an apartment with two girlfriends, one of them had terrible insomnia so one night after I had read a book on self-hypnosis, she came to me and asked me to try hypnosis on her. I did and she fell asleep almost instantly. A few minutes later she again came to my room and told me how successful the hypnosis session was. I know- how could it have been successful if she woke up? But she did go on to get a full night's sleep that night. During my son's recovery, his doctor prescribed a sleep aid for him which helped some but of course whatever you try, should be checked out with your doctor. If this post is long enough and perhaps boring enough, maybe it will help someone get to sleep. Feel free to use it anytime you can't sleep. I think I will get back to my Solitaire, now. sleep

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)