Hi,
I don't want to alarm you, but the next week to 2 weeks after the last radiation tx are pretty bad. Wednesday will be the end of our 2nd week. My husband is just beginning to eat soft foods again. He has lived on Ensure for the last 4 weeks. He has a PEG tube, but hates to use it.
If your husband can, he really needs to just increase his pain meds and know that he has to hunker down for a few weeks. But...it will get better. We were literally just there!
I know this is hard to hear. We hated when we got these kind of posts on our questions, but they were right. Sometimes just KNOWING it will be bad helps to not be afraid of it being bad. Does that make sense? Pain meds are your friend. If whatever he is taking isn't working, get something stronger.
The 2 of you are NOT in this alone. Please know we all know how you are feeling. You can pm any of us for more support.
Blessings,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14