My husband is 2+ years out of treatments for "base of tongue" HPV+ cancer. John and I have been together for 18 years and married for 11. John was 45 when we got married. He was never maried before but certainly didn't live a celibate life and I was married before with a few sexual partners in my life. John and I have always had a very good sex life. Ever since John was diagnosed and completed treatments our sex life has been affected. We still have a great sex life but there are two things missing - passionate kisses and oral sex. John no longer kisses me passionately and will no longer have oral sex with me although he doesn't have a problem with me performing it on him. grin

I am now 47 and when I was 30 I had an abnormal pap smear with cervical dsyplasia. I have not had any abnormal pap smears in the past 16 years and I do go annually for them. I think John thinks that I gave him the HPV virus and therefore is afraid to kiss me or have oral sex with me. He of course denies this but that is how I feel he thinks about it. So......where do I go from here? When I talk to him about it he tells me eventually that part of our relationship will return. Well - I'm not getting any younger waiting.

I try not to take it personally and I know he is concerned about a recurrance but once you carry the virus don't you always carry it? I know the body clears the virus and I have talked to my GYN about it. She said that when she has patients that have an abnormal pap smear and come back for a re-check, most of the time the subsequent test is normal because the body has cleared it. I give him all the stats about how many adults carry the HPV virus etc. but that doesn't seem to help.

I'm sure we are not the only couple having post-treatment sex issues. Any suggestions or info that I could give him to read that might put his mind at ease? Funny how I'm not afraid of "catching" it from him.

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2