Wow, you have done alot! Im glad to see you will do weekly chemo instead of the 3"big bag" method. Smaller weekly doses are so much easier to tolerate.

Often cancer patients feel so overwhelmed and like they do not have any choices regarding their treatments. When they get the opportunity to make a decision they will usually say no. This is all too true when it comes to feeding tubes. I too thought it would be awful to have one but that quickly changed when I started having problems eating and was dropping weight so fast my nurses started weighing me daily. Its better to have one and not need it than to need one and have to wait a couple weeks to get one. Your sense of taste will change and you will probably have a very sore throat making swallowing a challenge. You could have these issues for many weeks making eating and drinking pretty difficult. Im very pro-tube. After watching hundreds of patients over the years go thru rads, its pretty rare someone gets a feeding tube and doesnt use it. On the other hand Ive seen too many suffer thru not being able to eat or drink very well and drop significant weight only to end up getting an emergency feeding tube. Its better to have it than to end up struggling and waiting to get one. I also suggest eating all your favorite foods now so you dont go into your treatments having any cravings.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma