Hi Camille! Glad to hear you are doing so well!!!

Numbness and tightness can be from many different things. Usually its from inflammation that over time gets a little better or it could subside completely and goes away. Other times its caused by something that was done during surgery. There could be something now pressing on a nerve that hadnt been that way before. It could be any number of things, most of which are no big deal. To be honest, you could have some numbness permanently, or it could slowly go away. Believe it or not, even at over 2 months post surgery, you still have some swelling. The body takes a full year to bounce back and adjust itself after a major surgery. Theres all kinds of teeny tiny blood vessels that were cut and reconnected during surgery. Id definitely ask the doc at your next appointment in August. What I mostly see patients with this type of surgery saying are that their tongue now seems too big and is awkward. If you havent already, you should seek out a speech pathologist to help you learn how to better adjust to your new tongue. They can make a huge difference even in patients who seem to have been doing well with their adjusting. At least give it a try. you have nothing to lose.

Best wishes with your continued recovery smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy