Hello everyone,
I was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer of the tongue on March 17, 2017. Towards the end of January I discovered a spot on my tongue, that looked like a canker sore. I thought that's what it was but after 2-3 weeks when it wasn't getting any better I made a appointment with my dentist. On Feb. 6th he looked at it and told me it looked like I had bitten my tongue because it lined up perfectly with my back molar. I had no recollection of biting it and the ulcer part was deep so I had a hard time thinking I could have done that. He sent me home and told me to continue rinsing with warm salt water and come back in 2 weeks so he could check it again. Still feeling in my gut something wasn't right I made a appointment with a different dentist. He looked at it and took a picture of it and agreed with the first dentist- simply trauma to my tongue from a bite. I told him I was stressed and concerned it was something more, but he said I didn't have any of the risk factors for oral cancer. I have never smoked a day in my life, have never used tobacco products, and don't drink. He wanted to see me back in 2 weeks or if I wanted I could see a oral surgeon to put my mind at ease.That appointment was on Feb. 24th so leaving there with still a feeling knowing something wasn't right I made a appointment with a oral surgeon. I wasn't able to get in till March 10th but I saw a excellent oral surgeon who did a biopsy. (He later told me he knew what it was the minute he saw it). The pathology report came back on March 16 and I* got the results...squamous cell carcinoma. Needless to say I was devastated, though i was prepared because I knew in my heart it had to be more because it just wasn't healing up. I am so scared that the month I wasted going to those 2 different dentists cost me valuable time.
The oral surgeon got me in the following week to see the ENT doctor he recommended and i had my first appointment with him. He examined me and confirmed what the oral surgeon said. He also did the procedure where they put the tube in your nose and down to your throat. He said everything looked normal there as far as he could see. He discussed with me 2 options...trying radiation first or surgery. My husband and I talked about it with the doctor and he said he felt confident he could get it all with surgery so that is the choice I made. In the meantime before surgery I have had blood work done, a chest x-ray, a appointment with my cardiologist and a EKG to clear me for surgery and last Friday a CT scan and a PET scan. My question for anyone who could be so kind to answer is...does this seem like a exceptionally long time to wait for surgery? He also said the surgery will take about 2 hours and I should be able to go home from the hospital that same day barring any unforseen complications. Does that sound accurate? Since being diagnosed I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and I am just overwhelmed and scared from all the varying things I keep reading. Any advice or kindness shown will be very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

February 2017 saw 2 different dentist for ulcer on tongue. Was told by both it was a bite
March 10 biopsy done by oral surgeon
March 17 biopsy results are keratanizing squamous cell carcinoma
May 3 partial glossectomy and right modified radical neck dissection
May 8 post op appt. given news in surgery 34 nodes removed from neck, 1 with cancer but still encapsulated and had not spread
drainage tube out and feeling pretty good!
May 26 appt. with radiation oncologist- No rads needed