Welcome to OCF! You are in the best place for info and support.

What bothers me about your treatment plan is the choice between surgery or rads. All physicians should be going by a flowchart to determine which path would have the best outcome for their patient. Then hearing a 2 hour window and outpatient surgery this further makes me think it does not sound right. Of course, I am not a physician and I dont have a medical degree or background but Ive been here on this site talking to hundreds, probably more like thousands of people over almost 10 years. Ive picked up quite a few things about treatment plans and how things should go. I strongly suggest going for a second opinion at a Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC) before starting any treatment. Gather all your medical info and make an appointment. Being this is your first time having cancer, you should not have much of a change even waiting for another month. If the CCC doesnt have open appointments for a while its ok to ask about being placed on their cancellation list and calling a couple times a week to see if they can move you up. This usually works to get an earlier appointment for most patients Ive talked with. Only after getting that second opinion can you begin to make your treatment plan decisions. Its so much better for you to have faith in the medical team you select and not second guess what they tell you. When I read about your hesitation, I knew you were not comfortable with the info you had been told. Its tough enough on a patient getting diagnosed and going thru so many tests and appointments. I think you will see a big difference in how a CCC does things compared to the doctors you have already been to. Below you will find some helpful links.

Best wishes with everything!!!

List of CCCs

OCF main site --- DIAGNOSIS

OCF main site --- TREATMENT

Last edited by ChristineB; 04-17-2017 05:59 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma