Camille, if you are going to be doing rads and have any teeth that may need pulling, you may want to do it before doing rads. Doing so afterwards could create problems down the road with osteoradionecrosis. But theres also the healing time to consider. Normally rads begins at least 6 weeks after having teeth pulled. This could delay your treatments which could allow the tumor to grow for 6+ more weeks. Plus down the road you probably would need to do 20 hyperbaric oxygen treatments beofre the tooth extraction and 10 more afterwards (Marx Protocol). HBO is where the patient lays in a glass cylinder breathing pure pressurized oxygen.

If you are able to go to one of the countries top comprehensive cancer centers (CCC's) you would have a team based approach. This would eliminate all the different opinions and running around from one doc to the next. The CCC's team based approach mean all the professionals are working together as a team. They meet and discuss each case individually. Patients and their caregivers can sit in on the team meeting. CCC's have many benefits besides their tumor board meetings, they have been proven to give patients the best chance of beating their cancer. I think I gave you the link for CCC's a while back. Please consider going to one.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma