The numbers are scary, but there are a number of things to consider. First, remember that statistics are based upon the entire universe of people. Some do not follow doctor's instruction, some have co-existing illnesses and issues that impact their prognosis. Many receive care at places where resources and knowledge are not as advanced as at a local CCC. All of these things impact the statistics.

There are numerous variables within our disease as well -- i.e. tumor size, tumor grade, extracapsular spread, etc. -- all of which impact statistics in ways that medicine still is not fujlly cognizant of.

Treatment is rough -- no question about it. However, some of us got through the radiation and chemo with minimal acute effects, and manageable long term effects.

The combination of neck dissection, surgery, radiation and chemo is a solid, aggressive treatment program, which provides the best odds.

Remember, when we are engaged in this battle, we for some reason always focus on the "bad" side of the odds. I personally have a tough time with the fear of recurrence, yet statistically, in my particular case, the odds are somewhere under 3 in 10.

The point is that we can find and use statistics in any way we want to -- to encourage us or scare us. By having an experienced medical team and an aggressive treatment protocol, your wife's chances are maximized.

Forget the numbers and just focus on getting through each day. I like what Jim Valvano said when he was going through his battle -- (paraphrasing) use each day to think, cry and laugh. If we can do those three things each day, we have had a helluva day.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!