Brian and Gary - My data comes from the National Cancer Institute. Invasive oral and pharyngeal cancers have shown significant decline in mortality since 1976. This has been a steady and consistant trend. Treatment survival rates for our cancers have risen during the same time period. SEER indicates that these trends are statistically significant on both tables. From an epidemiological standpoint, a national trend showing a 6% decrease in mortality is pretty important.

This year, a Korean research team has potentially tied recurrance of our disease (OSCC) to a particular marker - an enzyme that seems to guard some cancers from radio tx. There is recent and significant refinement in the use of cysplatins in support of radio therapy. These are exciting changes and promise real improvements in the usually grim numbers that surround us here.

To be sure, the battle is not won. Even though newer treatment technologies have increased the probability of surviving the cancer longer, the quality of life issues are just recently gaining real attention.

And, for the thread, I have lived exclusively on Ensure for 2.5 years now. And, aside from this, aside from this, aside from this annoying tic, I am fine!! Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.