The SEER numbers track disease incidence and deaths. (Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results) He would be counted in the incidence (if he is in one of the 13 target areas they collect data from that are then extrapolated to estimate the entire US), but he would be counted in the type of disease that he died from, (if not oral cancer) and not at all by SEER if it got hit by a car. (Though that data is collected by other agencies)

By the by, while this study has generated an interesting thread, I stated early on that I thought it was worthless. And while I disagtree with Tom on some alcohol issues I totally agree with him that anyone would be badly informed assuming that ANY given study was the final and sole word on a particular topic.... and even if it came close, in the world of cancer our knowledge base changes daily, yesterday's study seldom carries significant weight down the road as new research leads us down novel pathways.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.