The husband of a colleague I work with was recently diagnosed with advsanced stage throat cancer and is being treated at Sloan Kettering. They immediately told him he should stop dirnking and stay stopped after treatment--nothing about its OK in moderation or anything. She was less than impressed by the folks here (whom they saw first before going to Sloan) in part because they said moderate consumption was OK (which is what my ENT told me).

I think the message needs to be clearer from all doctors, and maybe this study will do this, that no one can say for sure that moderate consumption is safe. I'm completely willing to totally abstain for the rest of my life if that's the case but if docs I trust are saying a beer or glass of wine once in a while is OK, it confuses me!

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"