Tom.
I don't know where you get your numbers from but the survival rates for H&N cancer are not significantly changed from 10 years ago. Maybe a few percentage points in our favor. There still isn't an effective chemo protocol and they are still using tried and true "slash & burn" techniques. In fact, we regularly have people here working on the "making their final days comfortable" issues. Not trying to frighten anyone but I've been here long enough to see the death toll up close and personal.

They have improved the QOL issues for many, including myelf, with IMRT and it's highly targeted cousins - but the death rate remains almost the same. Distant mets are still a major threat.

I like to thank the heavy drinkers on the site - they improve my statistical odds of survival.

I have read that anything that irritates the oral mucosa is a threat - beverages too hot or cold, mouth washes containing alcohol, etc.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)