Hi & welcome! Sorry you guy's need to be here, but as you've discovered it's not a bad place to be & hopefully will continue to be helpful. I started out at 43, 225lb & 6'1", bottomed out at 176. He will lose a lot of weight. He will really have to work hard & stay focussed on keeping nutrition level up, up, up! I was hard headed & got pretty malnourished. That was just the low point & as Rob said in hindsight it has gone pretty fast. I am back up to around 195 or so & actually broke 200 a couple of weeks ago at the end of piggin' out in Hawaii for 2 weeks on vacation!!! It was a rough year, but doable & I'm in the best physical shape I've been in in 20 years!! I had Amofostine only 2 or 3 times, but it made me too sick & they stopped it. I seem to have ok saliva compared to last summer, but still not back to normal. It's more of an inconvenience than anything, you just adapt. The bottom line is you guy's have some work ahead, but just get through the treatment, keep your attitude right & live your live's to the fullest. I have 3 daughters, 14,10,& 9 & a beautiful wife - a lot to live for! Sounds like he does too! Stay in touch! Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04