Hello Virginia
MY husband also had stage IV base of tongue.
Best advice you will ever get is right here. Shelley is right , he needs to bulk up as much as possible as he will lose weight, lots of it.
My husband had a PEG which worked well at first, until his nausea was so bad he was fed thru his port.
Please try and keep him as hydrated as possible , you don`t want him to be hospitalized, no fun.
Also encourage him to stay with the Amifostine as long as possible, it seems to really help with protecting the salivary glands. This was the one thing my hubby regretted , he had intractable nausea and could only handle it for 5 treatments.
Pete is real easy to talk to and would be glad to talk to your husband. If he would like to or you would , email me and I will give you our phone #.
This is a very scarey time for you both, we know, we have been there. Just remeember this is not a death sentence, this bloody disease CAN be beat.
Let us know how you are doing , take the time to read prior posts, there is a wealth of information there.

Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!