Frank, one of the most incredibly frustrating things about this experience is the ongoing "hurry up and wait". It is astonishing to me that when one is dealing with one of the most deadly diseases in the world, waiting for test results (or being able to get a timely appointment for ANYTHING) seems to be business as usual. I know that most cancer centers and oncologists are buried with patients. This stuff (in all forms) seems to be epidemic. Getting your oncologist's nurse to return a call seems like a major accomplishment.
Re: question about lung cancer....my oncologists told me that a common site for metastisis from oral cancer is the lungs. However, though this is not a typical thing, I believe that keeping on top of the situation, including demanding timely appointments with the doctors and tests (PET/CT) is extremely important. You have to be your own advocate and understand that there are thousands of other cancer patients fighting for those resources.
And, I would definitely travel to a true center of excellence such as M.D. Anderson in Houston, regardless of inconvenience.