Frank......I don't know what the best type of dr. would be. If I were you, I'd go on Tuesday and see what that dr. says. There is an overlap of surgeries done by different specialties. Most people seem to have their surgeries done by ENT's, often at a comprehensive cancer center. Plastic Surgeons also do cancer work on an area such as the lip. I have a friend from this forum ("Splenda") who had her oral surgery done in New Orleans by an ENT surgeon. Now the entire Head and Neck department at LSU-NO has moved to Baton Rouge. You can ask Splenda to tell you what she knows about those doctors.

My surgery was done at LSU in Shreveport, because I was told that "the man" was there. He is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. He has both an MD and a DDS degree. He was able to do my extensive surgery without any incision on the outside of my face. I understand that many ENT's do this surgery by using a long incision that allows them better visualization.

See what they say on Tuesday, and then let us know. Between Splenda and me, we can tell you about the facilities in our state.

Depending on what sort of cancer it is, you will then be better prepared to make decisions. M.D.Anderson is not far from you, and might be well worth going for a consultation, again depending on what you find out on Tuesday.

There are lots of options, and plenty of people who can help you, once you know what you are dealing with.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!