Ok...

So I go to the ENT's office to p/u copies of medical records for the insurance company that the ENT had ready for me. I ask the receptionist for the records and she hands me an envelope.

Now, follow this, my follow up appointment to get the results of my PET was scheduled for 12/4. I was told after the PET that the radiologist would have them read by the afternoon of the test. I asked for an earlier appointment since the results were probably in. She told me they did not get them yet but did move my appointment to 11/26.

I get home and am curious about my records thus far. I open the envelope and begin looking through the forms. Well I guess you already know what was included in the records...

That's right, THE PET report! So I am asking for some interpretation...

Neck: No evidence of hypermetabolic activity. Normal physiologic activity is identified.

Thorax: No evidence of abnormal hypermetabolic activity or suspicious nodule. There is a 2.9cm soft tissue density just left lateral to the AP window. This demonstrates borderline hypermetabolic activity of SUV 2.5 and is non-specific.

Abdomen/Pelvis: There is no evidence of abnormal hypermetabolic activity. Normal physiologic activity is identified.

So my interpretation is that I seem to be clear of oral cancer but now am concerned of something in my lungs? The radiologist writes in the "impression" section of the report, "...further evaluation with a dedicated enhanced CT of the thorax may be helpful as well as close follow-up. A non-hypermetabolic metastatic focus is felt much less likely in this location." Any idea what that means?

I now think I need to look into getting to the cancer center to check this out as I believe this is now out of my ENT's realm of expertise.

Could this be lung cancer? I don't know. You guys have been so helpful these last few weeks. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07