Well I am back from the ENT and Hospital...

Went in today at 2pm and was seen rather quickly. They did not seem to be busy. I sat in the chair in the exam room waited anxiously. They already had the information from my dermatologist. He looked at my lip and had a hard time finding the location of the original lump that was removed. He gave me a mirror so I could help him find it. He looked in my nose, down my throat, in my mouth, and felt my neck. He said that he did not think that there was anything to be worried about. I smiled and repeated to him the nothing to worry about phrase in the form of a question. He could tell I was confused and concerned.

It appears that the original removal healed so well that he thinks that the growth may have been taken with the original cut. Is that possible that the dermatologist got it all by luck with one fell swoop?

Anyway, tomorrow he is going to do a leison removal? Did I say that right? Basically he explained that he will cut into the area and have it biopsied. If there is cancer, then he cuts again and has that biopsied. He made it sound that he will cut and biopsy until there is no cancer found. He seems to think that the cutting will be minimal.

He also has me scheduled for a PET scan. I am sure you all have heard of this. Something with dye and scanning the area of the head and neck. He warned me that the PET returns a lot of false positives. He said that if there is cancer on the left side of my face and it returns something on the right side of my face then it's probably nothing to worry about. Does this sound right to you?

If any of this sounds wierd, please let me know. I'll ask more questions before the procedure tomorrow at 11am.

After the appointment we drove to the surgical center for EKG, CBC, and urine test. I also pre-admitted for the surgery. I assume as long as these things come out ok, my procedure is a go.

If everything comes out ok with these two procedures, would I be crazy to get at 2nd opinion just to be sure? Maybe a dentist to look and give me an opinion?

I feel a little better now that I made it through today but will be glad once this is over tomorrow!

Thanks for all of your support! I'll update again tomorrow. cool

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07