@ChristineB

Thank you so much for sharing your story and it IS wonderful that you're still here AND contributing so much to help others.

I must admit that looking over your diagnosis/procedures at the bottom of your post that I din't understand most of it.

I appreciate that you included the link to non-cancerous lesions ... it is a very interesting read. My family dentist thought the leukoplakia could be frictional keratosis, but he was incorrect. He also saw the candida developing and really should've referred me to an oral pathologist right away, imo, not just eventually send me to a periodontist who then sent me to the oral pathologist. I am upset with my family dentist, actually, and I feel angry actually - am unsure how to proceed? Should I tell him my thoughts (if so, how)? Change dentists? What?

You say the an ENT who specializes in OC is the doctor I should be referred to.

What should I do? Should I wait to get the biopsy results on June 7th and then be referred, or should I go to my family doctor and try to be referred now?

One thing that is different, that I showed the oral pathologist on Friday, is the fact that my tongue leans to the right when I stick it out. This is not a good sign, imo, could mean nerve or neurological involvement, no?

The oral pathologist said it's due to dry mouth from my psych meds. I beg to differ, but said nothing. What should I have said or done? Should I have a second oral pathologist opinion or wait for the ENT?

You are right in saying that the biopsy is a 3 visit deal. I had the visual assessment, now the biopsy as of Friday May 24, then I will go to her office for the results on June 7th.

I am off all tobacco and booze - just wearing the nicotine patch. I was never a heavy boozer until my 2014 mental breakdown, and since then it's been on and off, but I definitely hear you when you say stay away from anything that irritates my mouth.

The oral patholgist prescribed my clotrimazole lozenges for the candida and it's responding, but in the interim of my initial May 3rd visit, white spots have appeared on the sides of my tongue. She biopsied one of them 2 days ago. I am to stop the clotrimazole for a week while I rinse with chlorhexidine gluconate, then back to the clotrimazole lozenge.

For the biopsy, she froze my tongue, used a scalpel and sutured my tongue afterwards.

Thank you, too, Christine for mentioning to fill my time with poitive things. Getting dirty in the garden has been helpful. Also having my cat. Interestingly, she started laying on top of my chest when I'm on my side about 3/4 a year ago ... my family doctor has registered me for a CT with dye scan for within the next 2 months.

I wonder whether I do have oral cancer and I wonder whether oral cancer is the primary place?

So many unanswered questions.

Thank you for the suicide hotline number, I'm not sure if it works in Canada, but can check. I can also go to the hospital emergency and tell them I was on the psych ward and I need to urgently be readmitted.

But, alas, I am an existentialist, too, and often wonder what's it all about???

Thank you for mentioning that many OC survivors go on to live good lives.

Gives me hope.