Hi Delly, yes, this is hard. I found it very hard to watch Kris go through this. To be honest, I was devastated for him. For the effects on his life. It was terrible to see his embarrassment when he dribbled. But, this dribbling has got better. I think he has developed an awareness of when his mouth is wet. He wipes it out with a tissue. But, not always. I just pass him a tissue when he dribbles. Actually, people don't really care and are very accepting of the realities of Kris's life now.
I think you won't find this next surgery much different from his Glossectomy surgery. He will have a swollen face and neck, he will have tubes, he will be a bit drowsy . Just treat him as your much loved Dad. Which he is. I never reacted to how Kris looked, neither did our 3 sons. . If you feel a bit overwhelmed , just leave the room for a few minutes until you regain your composure. I'm sure you will be okay.
I understand the wanting to run away. I still sometimes wish we could slip into the parallel universe where this hasn't happened to us.
Hoping for a great outcome and quick recovery from this next surgery for Dad.
Thinking of you both,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!