Glad the woman you mention is onto it! Your father at 60 is still quite young and it's horrible this is happening to him. With regular help his quality of life should improve. It's not long since his treatment so I hope things settle down a bit. I'm doing well. I live alone too and might go a long time without talking to anyone. Then when I DO go to talk, the saliva wells up and I struggle not to dribble and spit. After I've been talking for a little while it improves. It makes mixing with people hard. The strangest thing is that I work in a Hospice shop one afternoon a week. While I'm busy serving customers I soon forget my mouth. I think it's the only time I get totally out of my "Im an oral cancer patient" mode! Best wishes to you. Continue being the good daughter you are but don't let the stress drag you down. Easy to say, I know:)

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.