Hi. It sounds as if there has been quite an improvement even though things have been tough and still are. The smoothie is a good sign. Have plenty of those before treatment because radiation makes you lose taste for some time. Is there something he could take for hiccups? I had to take anti-heartburn medication for a long time. There must be something to settle the digestive system or whatever causes hiccups.

Many people here found the radiation and chemo very hard. Part of it depends on where the radiation takes place. If it affects the throat it is painful but for me, with the radiation on the forward side of my jaw/face/neck, the pain was limited. Not that I didn't have to take lots of oxycodone for mucositis, but I was never prevented from swallowing. So everyone is different. I much preferred it to surgery because I simply hate being in hospital long term.

Radiation presented me with major transport challenges. Having to get through the city to the hospital everyday for 6 weeks seemed impossible when I started but it worked out. There were volunteer drivers, friends, family ... We made it and the staff at the oncology unit were excellent. You tend to feel well looked after at units like that. There are other people like you and staff are trained to be cheerful and supportive. There's a medical professional available every day so if there's pain and discomfort there's always someone to help.

Best wishes!

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.